We returned from Maine on July 22nd, with the
kids having been off school for over a month yet having had a very abnormal
summer. They were gone 3 of the first 4 weeks, and we were very ready for life
to settle down and everyone to settle into the normal summer routine. You
know…sleeping late, playing with friends, staying up late, swimming at the
neighborhood pool, etc. I’m used to getting up and out of the house every day
with the rest of the family still sleeping, and that’s the feeling of summer we
were all eager for. We also had been very busy out of state, but realized there
are a lot of things we want to do close to home – stay-cations of sorts. So we
made a list of things we wanted to do in the last 5-6 weeks of summer. I’m
happy to say we checked off all but one or two items on that list. One being
tubing, which I know we will do another summer – but would have been hard
logistically to fit in this summer. And the other was a nearby amusement park –
which we can still do another weekend this Fall. We checked off the other items
on the list, capping the last one on September 1st – a trip to a
water park…pretty good, considering James and the kids were in New Jersey for
one week of August.
We took a trip to Cunningham Falls State Park, a lake with a
waterfall hike in the mountains of Maryland. My favorite memory from this trip
was Keely’s description of the lake – Nature’s Pool :) There is a small beach area, and the part of the lake you can swim in is roped off. It was
nice, but I wouldn’t go back again for the beach area. We also did the hike up
to the waterfalls, and then played around on the rocks around the falls. The
whole park was fairly crowded, probably because it was a gorgeous summer day
with low humidity. We had a nice day, but for the 1+ hour drive I don’t think
it’s worth another trip.
We then traveled to Charlottesville for the night and
visited Monticello on Sunday to complete our in state exploring. James was the
only one to have ever been, and it was when he was very young so we all got to
experience this for (almost) the first time. I’m comparing this to Mount Vernon
in terms of history, pricing, crowds, etc. and I have to say I was quite
impressed and I like Monticello better. The grounds are more spread out and
even though there were a lot of people there, it didn’t feel crowded. We also
chose the family friendly tour – and although it’s geared more for younger kids,
the tour guide was excellent – very knowledgeable and very patient answering
all the kids and adults questions. We spent about two hours exploring, including
the house tour, lower level, grounds, gardens, and outbuildings. It was a very
nice experience and I recommend it if you are in the Charlottesville area.
James and the kids spent one of the last weeks of summer in
New Jersey, mostly hanging out with Grandpa. They did also squeeze in some time
with Nana and other cousins, it’s bound to happen with all of my family in the
area also. Keely got to have a fabulous girls’ day with Nana in New York
City, complete with a trip to the American Girl doll store that included lunch
and some ‘big’ conversations! The rest of the week was spent at various parks, swimming, a
trip to the beach, and an indoor game and ride center. They had a fun time, and
I was able to join them for the last two days.
The last hurrah, so to speak, and another check off our ‘to-do’
list was a trip to a local water park. We are so fortunate to have not one, but
five County water parks to choose from all at a pretty reasonable price for a
days’ admission. The one we chose has a wave pool, five water slides, and
several smaller pool areas. We spent a few hours there, definitely getting our
money’s worth and even had some funnel cake – I swear they pump
the smell into the wave pool area and I couldn’t resist!
So with that, summer was officially over and we (mostly me) were ready
to get back into a normal routine. There are big changes in store, with both
kids going to new schools this year and lots of new experiences coming up!
No comments:
Post a Comment