
A few weekends ago, we met up with Tom, Judith and kids for
a fun weekend getaway. After their
weekend trip to see us in December fell through, I had been looking for a place
where we could meet in the middle or somewhere pretty close to the middle. I found
Occoneechee State Park in
Clarksville, Virginia…a state campground that also has some pretty nice cabins.
It happens to be about a 3.5-4 hour drive from both of our houses, and that fit the
bill. We were able to agree on the first
weekend in February, and the plan was set.
We hadn’t seen them since July at the beach house so we were long
overdue for a visit.

We arrived on Friday night…late and the craziness
ensued. The kids didn’t wind down until
almost 1 AM only to be back up before 7 AM.
Thanks to coffee, I was not too unhappy about that lack of sleep. The kids just have so much fun together….being
that they are all within 4 years of each other.
I don’t think I heard ‘I’m bored’ one time the whole time we were there.
After a breakfast of pancakes in the morning and lots of much needed coffee
(for the adults), we decided to take a hike over to the park office and visitor’s
center. The park was once the home of the Occaneechee Indians and there is
quite a nice visitor’s center dedicated to their history and unfortunate
demise. The weather was cold but that didn’t stop us from enjoying nature.

When
we got back from our hike, Judith and I headed into ‘town’ to grab a few necessities
(we were roughing it, but there were some things forgotten that we couldn’t do
without lol). The kids took to playing
down by the water in their ‘fort’…the adults stayed close to the fire, chatted
and played games. The dogs were there too, and Callie and Max had fun together
as usual.

For dinner, we grilled burgers and hot dogs and I made baked
macaroni. We also played musical chairs, ping pong, and lots of games including
Catch Phrase, Beat the Parents (the kids won yet again!), and Taboo. The hours
seemed to disappear fast…even though there were no TVs, we were never bored and
there was always lots of great conversation and laughter. We had makeshift s’mores
for dessert…using cookies and brownies instead of graham crackers.
Everyone was
tired on Saturday night and we got a much better night sleep. On Sunday
morning, it was time to pack up and depart in our opposite directions. It was a
really quick trip, and one that I think we will do again. We had so much fun
and we can’t wait to see them again soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment