Before I describe the day, my emotions and results, I need to back up a couple of weeks. My training plan called for one last long run of 20 miles, and then a taper with long runs of 12 miles and 8 miles. My 20 mile run went fine - I ran the only section of the Mount Vernon trail that I had not yet run from Old Town Alexandria to Mount Vernon and back. It was boring but I did fine, averaging a 10 minute mile pace. The next week, I set out for 12 miles again on the Mount Vernon trail but adding a stretch of the Capitol Crescent Trail in Georgetown. I felt great, averaging a 9 minute mile pace the entire 12 miles. When I got in the car, I noticed a slight pain in the top of my left foot but didn't think much of it. The pain increased the next day, hurting when walking. I didn't try to run again until Thursday, and had to stop after only 2 miles. The pain started on top of my foot and radiated to my instep. It's safe to say that I freaked out at this point. Nine days until the marathon and I couldn't believe this was happening to me. Turned out it is quite common to have injuries such as this in the latter part of marathon training. At this point, I didn't know if the injury was tendonitis or worse (stress fracture). I hoped it was just tendonitis, but the only thing I could do was rest and wait. I did just that...stayed off my feet as much as possible, iced lots and lots, and took Aleve each night to reduce swelling. I tried not to think about it, but truthfully I was consumed with it. I didn't try to run again until the next Tuesday...and only with minimal success. I tried wrapping the foot a couple of different ways, and there was still pain after a little bit of running (i.e. less than one mile). I went to the MCM Expo on Thursday to get my bib, etc. and still had no idea if I would be running on Sunday. I was so disappointed. The day I was waiting for an entire year and I might not be able to fulfill my desire to run a marathon. After all the training and hard work, I felt like I was being punished for something I didn't mean to do. The truth is, I was so tired of the training and I felt that marathon training is not sustainable for me...so in my mind, this marathon was the only one I would be running and I didn't want to miss it. I know there are many other marathons, but I didn't think my mind could handle another set of lengthy training only to not know if I would be injured again at the end. When I went to the MCM Expo, I stopped by the KT Tape booth. I spoke with the guy about my pain and he suggested another taping method. He would have taped me but his partner was not yet there, but the taping method was simple and I knew I could do it myself with ease. I tried when I got home, and walked on the treadmill...even running about a mile with some pain, but it was bearable. I was still uncertain though. The next day, I was eager to try the new taping method on the streets. James ran with me, and we kept an easy 10 minute mile pace and I was able to run for almost 4 miles. The pain subsided and my foot seemed to warm up as the run went on. I was sore afterwards, with pain when walking for the next 12-18 hours though so I still didn't know if the foot would hold up for 26 miles. My nerves were at fever pitch, but I prepared for the race and knew I had to give it a try. My favorite quote from Runner's World arrived on Friday morning...
"There is no time to think about how much I hurt. There is only time to run."How true, and appropriately timed! What this two weeks taught me is that I truly have developed a love of running. I am emotional just typing this. I missed it. It was a good break, but I was ready to run. I wanted to run, I needed to run. It keeps me in check...keeps me balanced. I knew that regardless of whether I could run and finish this marathon, I have now become a runner and it feels great to know that.
Race morning arrived. I was still nervous, but I was excited. This was a course I love, with spectators almost the whole way, and the excitement of running with so many people. I soaked it all in. The National Anthem, the flyover, the crowds, the cool of the morning, just everything. The weather was dicey, with the threat of a hurricane looming. It was perfect though...50s, cloudy, and not a drop of rain on us runners. The only negative was a pretty strong headwind that affected most runners, including me for the last 10 miles.
The gun went off, and it took almost 10 minutes to cross the start line. And my race had begun! I started out cautiously, measured and let my foot warm up. There was some pain, but nothing unbearable and it didn't get worse so I suspected it would be fine. I forgot my watch, so I couldn't pace myself the way I wanted to...and my MapMyRun was off with distance so the pace was off. All in all though, I knew I was running consistently and I was conserving energy because I knew this was more than I had ever run. My one mistake early on was not drinking or eating enough as I felt a bit lightheaded and dizzy around Mile 14-15. Increasing my food and drink though seemed to help and I overcame that feeling. A marathon is mostly mental, and I fought through it many times throughout those 26 miles mostly in the last 10 miles. It was also physical near the end with my muscles burning and willing me to stop, but I would not...could not stop. I knew I would make it, I would not give up. I loved the spectators...my 6 spectators especially who walked 6 miles to see me 4 times on the course. James and the kids, my parents and Annie cheered me on and picked me up at points when I was doubting. I needed that, I knew I would and I'm so grateful that they made it through the course to see me. I loved the Marines, slapping me five as I ran by. I loved the course, with its diversity and sights. I loved running in a group of people, though they were strangers we were all in it together. I especially loved the finish, and the Marine putting the medal around my neck. I ran a marathon! I still have to remind myself that I did it. I set out with a goal to run a marathon in 2012, and I did it. Time isn't really important, but it will stick in my mind. I finished in 4 hours, 31 minutes and 37 seconds. My foot wasn't even really an issue...by the end, so much hurt and I was thinking about so many other things that my foot was the least of my concerns. I do think it was tendonitis, and rest did the trick. I am so happy, and so proud of myself for this accomplishment. It is one that I will remember forever.Many people have asked....will you run another marathon? Before I did it, and also for a few hours afterwards, I said no. This was a 'bucket list' check, something I could say I did and move on. The intense pain I was in immediately afterwards was enough to make me ask why, oh why would people do this to themselves more than once?!?! But time fades those pains. I liken it to childbirth...and most women have more than one child so obviously the pain fades. I'm now 3 days post marathon, and I feel pretty much back to normal. My muscles are still sore, but nothing major. Going down stairs is the hardest, but that pain is easing. And now I'm not ruling out another marathon. I won't say yes at this point, but it's not a definite no either. I still think marathons and their training are hard on a body, and I prefer a half marathon distance. I'm making up my race calendar for 2013, and I know it will include many halfs...but I'm not ruling out another fall marathon. What I do know is that I'm excited to be done with this race, and I'm looking forward to more running!


No comments:
Post a Comment