September 18, 2012

Debunked

A couple of weeks ago, Keely was poking around in my jewelry box.  A thought crossed my mind that she might find her and Quinn's baby teeth, as this is where I 'hide' them.  I haven't made much of an effort to really hide them because they are both done losing their initial 8 teeth and frankly, I know the 'Tooth Fairy' is not going to be around much longer.  Quite frankly, I'm not sad about the end of this era.  In any event, the baby teeth have managed to stay hidden...until that day.  I knew there was a chance she might find them, but I took my chances.  And find them she did.  I couldn't lie, they already know there is no Easter Bunny and I'd rather not persist this other mythical creature so I said it's true, there is no Tooth Fairy.  Keely's new theory is that the Tooth Fairy comes, delivers the treat, and deposits the tooth back with me for safe keeping.  Honest to goodness, that's her story. 

In the course of this hub-bub, Quinn actually had a loose tooth.  He hasn't lost a tooth in probably like 3 years, and it was causing him some angst.  He really never was good at losing teeth...remember, he's the one who ate his first tooth because he was too afraid to pull it out.  By the last few, he became much braver actually pulling them out and handing them to me (my favorite, at the Fall Festival - now where was I supposed to put that tooth?!?!).  Apparently, the absence of losing a tooth for so long has made him lose that bravado.  He did lose it though, at school in the cafeteria.  It's strange to see such a big tooth come out of his mouth. 

So you can see where I am going...this tooth lost in the wake of the discovery of baby teeth just a week or so earlier.  I told him that since the Tooth Fairy wasn't real, he wouldn't be getting anything.  He did protest...but I honestly didn't have any cash.  So his sister came to the rescue.  She donated $3 of her own money to his treat.  She only had two singles, but dug around for some change because she said that once she received $5 so he deserved more than $2.  It was very cute and sweet of her. 

As usual, I made the trade and in the morning, Quinn awoke to $3.  Not a word was spoken afterwards, but I'm not sure how many more of these teeth trades we will be going through.  He does have a lot of adult teeth coming in, so there will be several more losses in the near future. 

Coincidentally, while we were at Grandma and Grandpa's last weekend, James was handed his baby teeth that were found in some cleaning of various rooms and drawers...so the TF myth would have been debunked then if not earlier.  It made me wonder about these traditions and I honestly think it's kind of strange that we save all of our kids' teeth!   Of course, I'm still doing it too...




Because I like to spice up the posts with pictures and don't have one of Quinn's tooth missing, these are from a day trip we did earlier this month to the Marine Corps Museum in Quantico.  It was a lot of fun, the museum is very well done and free (nice perk!).  


No comments: