July 30, 2012

Rock Climbing

We are on summer break from regular Boy Scout den and pack meetings, but the Pack plans several fun summer outings.  The first was the summer campout which we attended back in June.  I may as well write about it now since I didn't when it happened.  I'm getting so bad at this blogging thing :(  We camped for one night at a Boy Scout camp just outside of Manassas, Virginia.  The theme was rocket night...the boys launched rockets that they built, flew model airplanes, and learned about stars and telescopes with an astronomer.  It was an action packed day and night!  The sleeping arrangements were platform tents, with many spiders.  They were mostly daddy long legs, but the boys were also finding what they claimed to be wolf spiders and black widows.  Many of the boys, Quinn included, enjoyed searching the tents during the daylight hours to find and confiscate the spiders.  What was fun in the daylight turned frightening in the night.  Quinn and two of his fellow Scouts were to sleep in a tent together.  After a few minutes, they turned on their flashlight and saw several black widow spiders.  Quinn was at our tent asking to sleep with us not too long after.  I'll never forget Quinn peeking his head into our tent saying 'widows!' in a low scared voice.  Anyways, we all made it through the night unharmed, enjoyed a nice camp breakfast and headed home to spider-less sleeping arrangements.  I can't say that this experience made me want to camp in Virginia very often - there are just so many more bugs than out West.  Both Quinn and I were lucky enough to come home with ticks!  I'm sure we will still go camping, but we'll see how future trips go.

The next event was on Friday night...rock climbing with pretty much the same group of people we camped with in June.  We've been a member of this Pack since September but it took the camping trip to cement our friendliness with the other parents, scouts and siblings.  It was nice to see everyone again.  Quinn, Keely and I all participated in rock climbing and James took photos.  I have to say it was pretty fun, tiring and strenuous - my upper body was sore the rest of the weekend! 

The last summer event is ice skating (indoors obviously) in late August, then it will be back to the regular den and pack meetings.  Keely is excited about skating, Quinn is not.  Hopefully he will try it out again, but if six years of living in Utah didn't make him an ice skater I'm not sure what will :)

No comments: