November 15, 2011

Biking Around the Monuments


Like I said in my previous post, the weather this weekend was absolutely gorgeous...especially considering it is mid-November.  We spent much of the weekend outside enjoying it, because who knows how many more we will get like this until Spring?!?!  Sunday, we picked the kids up from CCD and headed out for a family bike ride.  The genesis for this was when I mentioned that the weather was supposed to be nice, so we should go see FDR and MLK memorials.  But James has been getting to know the bike paths pretty well, so we decided to bike into the District to see the monuments. 



















We parked at Gravelly Point Park, which is literally located at the tip of Reagan National Airport thus right along the Potomac.  Being that it was a nice day, there were a lot of bikers, runners, walkers, etc. on the trail but luckily, we got a parking spot and headed off on bikes towards DC.  What a beautiful ride, with the Potomac on one side and the views of the Washington Monument ahead.  We biked over the Memorial Bridge, at which point Keely exclaimed 'This is amazing!" :)  The trail brought us right to the front of the Jefferson Memorial and then we headed around the Tidal Basin to see FDR.  You can't ride bikes in so we locked them up and walked around, enjoying both the memorial and the views around the Tidal Basin.  I can't wait to go back during the Cherry Blossom Festival, it will be gorgeous. 



Back on our bikes we went, and on to the newest addition to the Washington Memorials...MLK.  I think they did a good job with his likeness, and I enjoyed reading his quotes on the walls to either side.  After that, we biked all around the Tidal Basin and back over the Memorial Bridge into Virginia. 


When we returned to the park, we stood under the flight pattern and experienced a couple of plane landings right above our heads.  I think both kids will say this was their favorite part!  I thought it was a little scary, I am amazed at how those planes have to bank in and literally drop out of the sky to land on that tiny runway.  I know there's a science to it, but it still seems scary.  We had a fun family biking adventure.  I can't wait to do it again, we will probably extend the distance next time - it's so nice to use the many trail options to explore the Nation's Capital!   

No comments: