August 11, 2011

The Mall

Saturday, we decided to venture down to "The Mall", and by that I don't mean a group of stores with anchors and a food court :) What is even cooler about this decision is that we did our usual Saturday morning routine of breakfast and the gym...then ventured by Metro into the District and visited a bit, and were home to make dinner in our own house! I don't know when the awe factor will wear off, but I still think it's so cool that we are so close to these mostly free amenities and the historical National Capital city.

We took the Metro from East Falls Church. This was the first time we have taken the Metro together as a family since we moved here. The kids love that part, it adds to the experience. I honestly love it too, as an option. It's gotten more expensive than when I rode it often as a college student but it's still a wonderful system and so clean and user friendly. If we didn't want to Metro in though, we could be there in about 20 minutes. But then you have to find parking and perhaps walk longer to see the sights. So anyways, this day we decided to use the good ol' Orange Line.

Once we got downtown, we got off at Federal Triangle and walked to the Old Post Office. James and I went up the elevator in this tower when we were in college and it's quite a view, so we wanted to (a) see if it was still free and (b) show the kids this unique view of the city. We were delighted to find out it's still free (!) so we waited about 15 minutes to ride up. I love looking out each of the four sides to the sights below and beyond...including my old campus and the gorgeous Basilica. The Old Post Office is the 3rd highest building in DC, behind the Washington Monument and (we presume) the Basilica.After venturing down the elevator, we bought some shakes from Ben & Jerry's and walked down to the Mall. Quinn begged to go to Air & Space...or even Natural History (we need to finish that one up one of these days, there is just so much to see in there!)...but we made an adult executive decision and toured the Hirshhorn Museum of Modern Art. I love the circular building and it's quirky art. I loved the view from one of the floors out onto the Mall and the comfy seats and large tables where you can read or relax. The kids enjoyed it too. Although Keely did find the nude sculptures "inappropriate" :) It was great to expose them to modern art...I think next time we will have to do the National Gallery of Art, because Keely wanted to see what she called "real art".
It is so nice to be able to see a museum, and not feel bad that we didn't get to the many other museums. We have the option of seeing them at our pace, and as many times as we like. Again, the awe factor is still in high gear here :) All in all, a lovely Saturday afternoon!

No comments: